The 2o Gymnasio Geraka is a Junior High School and one of the biggest secondary schools in East Attica, with 410 students (aged 12-15) and 40 teachers. The school is located in Gerakas, which is part of the municipality of Pallini. Ιt is 14km from the center of Athens and 28km from Marathon and it is part of the Authentic Marathon Route.
Our school aims at involving students in extracurricular activities that broaden their knowledge and skills, by implementing Environmental, Cultural, and Health Education programs every year. It also gives great emphasis on the European Dimension of Education by participating in ERASMUS+ KA2 and KA3 projects, while at the same time takes part in international networks, such as ASPnet of UNESCO, Eco-schools, and Young Reporters for the Environment.
Our vision of our school is cooperation and communication with School Units, Organizations, and Universities at the National, European, and International levels. We have a successful collaboration with several different organizations. Our school participates in five (5) European ERASMUS+ programs with 7 different Organizations, 2 European Universities, 14 schools abroad in 11 different countries. In addition, it has established a collaboration with a Junior High School in Japan on environmental issues it is twinned with the Greek-German school in Berlin.
We aim at instilling in our student’s empathy, justice, courage, kindness, individual and collective responsibility. The cultivation of social and emotional skills of expression, communication, and connection as well as the management of anger and negative emotions which may result in bullying, are our key priorities. We aim to raise students who make research, think critically, cultivate the skills of coordination, organization, cooperation, and 21st-century digital skills.
The school has many distinctions and awards at national, European, and International levels:
- 6th place in the Leonardo4Children European Contest for the project “Dance and music on evaporation of water” in the Arts and Science category.
- Honorable Mention in the International Contest 2019 held by the Network Young Reporters for the Environment, with the video titled “Life without plastic”.
- ISA award by the British Council in Greece for our collaboration with schools abroad.
- Flag of the Sustainable School by the Hellenic Society for the Environment and Culture.
- 2 Gold awards at the National Contest “Education Leaders Awards”.
- Distinctions in the National Contest BRAVO SCHOOLS.